Pages

Monday, February 18, 2013

Take Two


I made these potholders for a friends' birthday present in August 2011.  I was thrilled to get into the 1/2 yard bundle of Joel Dewberry's Heirloom fabric that had just arrived, and thrilled to use these prints for her since, in the middle of the Georgia Bulldog Nation, she staunchly remains... well, not-so-subtly orange-and-blue.  Couldn't bring myself to using orange and blue outright, but this was a subtle approximation, out of respect and love for her.

Her husband is a Bulldog.  Coincidence that he used these at the grill and burned them up?  Well, we'll not make accusations here; but it did make its way around to me that my friend lamented the loss (of the potholders, notwithstanding this years' loss of the big rivalry game) and really really wanted another set.  This time I let her choose the fabric - and what do you know!  Another Joel Dewberry from my stash, and there we have it.

The pattern for these is included with Amy Butler's Cafe' Apron Pattern (which is an old one, and I couldn't find it on her site currently).  These are a great project for anyone learning to quilt, and they fit and protect hands so well.  In my kitchen experience, it's so important that the top side of the potholders have the same plush batting as the palm side and these readily fit the bill.  

I learned a good bit the first time making these.  I learned that I needed to invest in a walking foot for my machine, and I learned the right way to make and sew binding.  It was encouraging how much faster this second set came together, and always encouraging to make something beautiful that will brighten someone's kitchen!  Maybe I should make some for myself, huh!

No comments:

Post a Comment