Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

At some point, I might have to admit I have a problem

Things that have always appealed to me: geometry, patterns, beautiful fabric, and putting things together in an unexpected way to make something beautiful.  And so I seem to be developing a new habit with these kaleidoscope squares.  I used to not love larger-scale patterns in fabric, but now every time I see a motif of suitable size, I begin to imagine what it would look like cut and pieced this way.  The fun thing though, is that you never really know how it will come together until it actually comes together!

Take Joel Dewberry's Modern Meadow, Sunflower in Berry for example:



I had ordered a selection of half yards from this collection in order to make a crib quilt for a baby shower.  I had a design in mind for the quilt, but once I saw the sunflowers would fit so perfectly to the required kite shape, well I got that crazed look in my eye and had to stop what I was doing right then to get to work.  And then I realized, that even with just a half yard, I could cut enough motifs to lay the block out two different ways, with completely different results!  This is all just too much fun.  




And now I'll be trying my first "free form"-ish quilting layout - as I figure out what will go around these blocks to complete the quilt.  Hmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment