Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

[Quilt #13] Baby Quilt Request

A great friend asked me if I had anything laying around that she could buy from me for a shower gift.  She didn't want to "just do the registry thing," she wanted something hand made!  I told her I didn't and we talked over a few ideas of what I could do quickly (she needed it in 4 days).  It's funny how these days, the thing that comes together most quickly for me is a quilt.

I took a look at the baby registry to get ideas of what they were after - pale green, purple, and yellow, and they'd registered for things with jungle animals on them, and in another case, an owl.  As I glanced through my fabric, the quilt suddenly became quite clear: the soft greens, grays, and periwinkle in my collection of Jane Dixon's Primitiva were absolutely perfect.

I told my friend that this would be a very simple quilt, and she was fine with that.  I bordered two cuts of fabric - one for the front and one for the back, and then for the first time ever, attempted to applique' something onto a quilt top.  I've applique'd a couple of times, just for kicks, but this was the first time I did it onto something that really mattered.




Notice how I didn't have to piece the eyes for the owl - I cut them right out of the fabric and sewed them on!    The owl came together more easily than I expected, and the wavy lines in the fabric were so beautiful to quilt by.  I was pleased with how adorable it turned out.  So adorable, in fact, that I simple had to take it one step further.  My very first stuffed animal:






No comments:

Post a Comment