Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Quilt in a Day [Quilt #11]

Yesterday morning when I woke up I had no thought about sewing.

Scratch that.  My waking thought was about sewing, but I kept putting it aside as I had other things I needed to do: lots of home schooling, clean the house, garden - catch up on things while my best friend kept one of my sons so that I could have a bit more peace and organization to my day.

But as I dropped my son off, my best friend mentioned she needed a gift for her sister's baby shower today. "What can I do that's cheap?"  she asked me, because we both know what it is to not have money for such things, regardless of how badly we wish we did.  I suggested flannel receiving blankets since I had some flannel.  But after looking at my flannel, it didn't seem to fit what I'd want my best friend to give to her sister at her family baby shower.

Because, there are some reasons why she's my best friend.  And when it comes to family, and when it comes to her loving her sister, and when it comes to family sometimes maybe not always being what one would really hope family to be but that my best friend consistently makes every effort to be what family is supposed  to be - well, my flannel wasn't good enough.  And it's ok if that doesn't make any sense because, like I said, there are reasons why we're best friends, and we get it.

So, I said to my older (7 yo) son, "School is officially finished.  We're going to the fabric store!"  He was nonplussed.  This is not his favorite thing to do, but he was willing to be my bud and go along.  Honestly, it's not my favorite thing to do - I much prefer to shop online for fabric as our area is for some reason devoid of what I really look for in a fabric store.  We went to one - and found nothing.  We went to another - and found almost nothing.  Bud-bud was starting to resist the idea of a third, so I started to make something work in my head.  Always attracted to blue and red for boys, and anything with stars... then there was this blue with teddy bears with red bows, and this neutral toy toss and look here - some coordinating flannel - okay!  We were off and running.

I didn't really have extra money to spend on fabric.  But I was babysitting this week and I would make some extra money - I'd had other uses for it but hey, this is my best friend.  Who keeps my kids way too much without letting me pay her, who made me dinner and cried with me when my dog died, who does so much for other people all the time and always has kids over at her house eating up her snacks when they are on the smallest grocery budget I know of... I will most definitely spend my extra money on fabric for my best friend.

And I will most definitely take it home and make a crib quilt, finished before bedtime (surprising myself once again!).


I've been wanting to try the quilt-as-you-go method and it worked great with this little project!  And the flannel backing turned out so soft and warm-feeling.  I might make all future crib quilts with flannel backing.


So - yesterday I woke up with absolutely no intention of making a quilt, but went to bed with this neatly folded and ready to deliver.  That's a good day in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment